Wednesday, March 31, 2010

No, This Is Not a Pre-April Fools Joke

Place: Bohol Tropics restaurant. Tagbilarn, Bohol, Philippines
Time: 6:30 PM. February 3, 2010
Event: Evening Supper. Last night on Bohol before heading home to America.

There she was sitting across the table from me invited to share a meal with us by a mutual friend. It was the first time I recall seeing her. She had been attending the pastor's seminar for three days but, hey, I was not looking for a prospective bride so I never noticed her. Now that the seminar was finished and we were at the table together I did notice her. Though we spoke but 4 or 5 sentences to one another during the meal, still when she left there was a lingering memory. But I didn't even remember her name.

By the time my companions and I arrived home from the Philippines there were the usual five or six emails from various pastors thanking us for coming and giving testimonials of what god had done in their lives as a result of attending the seminar. Her email was one of the six. Who is Christie Oscaris? Which pastora (female pastor) was she at the seminar? She introduced herself as the woman at the supper and hoped I remembered her. How could I not remember her - she was the only woman at the table with four other men.

To hit the 'reply' button and respond or go on to the next email. That was the question. Perhaps it was the lingering memory from the supper, but as most of you know by now, I obviously hit the 'reply' button. And I have kept hitting the 'reply' button until one day it was her turn to reply to me. In response to a proposal of marriage she hit the 'reply' button and said YES!

As I shared the news with family first, the universal response was, "What!?" (shock) and then the congratulations. Perhaps I should have sent out an email announcing I had met a woman. And then followed up this email with weekly status reports. This would have eliminated the shock factor. But I did not want to be answering questions every week on this matter. Besides, shock is good to get the adrenalin flowing! So now that the shock is worn off and people can process some information, here are some details. In other words, answers to questions asked.

Christie is a Christian. Yes, we have both prayed about this. No, Christie is not nuts. (I may be but she is definitely not nuts.) Christie speaks English. Christie is a widow whose husband died 18 months ago from a sudden liver problem. Her husband was a pastor and she has been asking the Lord for another pastor so she could continue to be a pastor's wife. (OK, maybe she is a little nuts.) Christie is 33 years old. She has 3 children. And yes she is beautiful. (Spoken by one who is in love with her.) Her children are Crisielyn (18), John (10), and Shekinah (8).

The wedding is planned for April 24th. After the wedding I will return home and begin the process of getting a "spousal visa" so Christie and the kids can come to the U.S. This process usually takes six months before the visa is issued. So realistically it will be sometime in November when we get to have the house filled with new family members.


Now for a picture of the future bride. There are three women in this picture that are special to me. The lady in pink was healed of breast cancer the previous night during the seminar. The lady on the far right was also healed of a "throat problem" that was painful and made it impossible for her to speak above a whisper. Both women wanted a picture with us and then the other women joined in the picture. Christie is the beautiful woman in the middle! (Of course, I am the tall, handsome one among the men.)

Now that this news is posted I can resume posting of various topics which are of "Not so urgent matters." Also, if this picture is actually posted, it means I have learned to post pictures with my blog and a whole new world is before me. I'll keep you posted.

Blessings
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. I will admit that your news was a shock, even though I had heard you discussing the possibility before. However, I am very happy for you and Christie. Just before your announcement (of which I had prior warning), I was afraid you were leaving CTC. So, I was relieved to hear it was marriage. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this at work, and now I am crying in happiness, and people are looking at me funny.

    Congratulations, Ray! This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Nicki and Elijah for your kind words. They are encouraging to me as I start forward in this new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, Uncle Ray. If she can understand your humor, she must be as "special" as you are=)
    May God bless both of you.


    Jason

    P.s. I might be heading to the Philippines for a trip sometime next year. If this is the case, I will definitely send you an email and ask for your travel suggestions.

    ReplyDelete