Friday, June 19, 2009

Manuals !?!

This posting will be about a mundane thing which I have thought about writing but it is surely nothing profound. I write it to get it out of my mind- so out it comes.

Every time you purchase something it comes with an operator's manual/instruction book. Being a true man, I promptly pitch the manual into the trash with the box and proceed on with life. This worked well when your better half retrieved the manual and kept it in a filing system for future reference (and saved the day on many occasions.) The worst of these manuals is always with a computer software program which promises "plug and play" ease of operation. Being the simpleton I am I always assume that "plug and play" means that your slip the disk in and install the operation and, 'whoohoo', it works. But I have learned that in the box, underneath the shiny disk, lurks a manual - at least 100 pages worth! Do they really expect me to read this stuff? Never in a 25years! That's why you marry someone who does read the manuals!

Life changes real fast when your 'manual reader' is no longer around to save the day. Either life gets much simpler because you abandon anything more complicated than "a+b=c" formula or you begin to read the manuals so you can stay in touch with the world of new and improved "gizmos".

So now I save the manuals (I always have so that Joyce would not have to later dig them out of the trash) and pile them somewhere with all the other stuff I may need someday. My non-orderly filing system was no match for Joyce's filing system. Think in terms of "chaos vs. order".

After one month without my manual reader around I am helpless in programming my TiVo. this simple task would have naturally fallen on Joyce's shoulders but alas, it it now up to me to find the manual and learn to do it by reading the manual without having someone show me how to do it. Did you notice the operative word in the previous sentence was 'find'. It is not that I can't read the manuals - the problem is I can't find the manuals. Auuugh !!!!! Sometimes being absent minded is the pits.

Wow! Just as I finished typing the above paragraph I glance up from this post and there it is tucked away on the bottom tier of the coffee table! I have found the manual! Now I can learn to operate the TiVo and my life will be made easier - so they say.

Life is good so keep smiling. Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment