Thursday, March 19, 2009

When a 105 Can Still Be Good

Last week I went golfing with a good friend and fellow life traveler Glen Kersey. Glen and I have a wonderful time golfing. Glen doesn't take the game as seriously as he should (or as I do). Most of the time we end up laughing at ourselves when we start to get serious about this game. It had been 5 months since we were together on a golf course so naturally expectations were not too high. Nevertheless, as we were heading out to the course I commented that even if I hit a poor shot I was still going to enjoy the game. Glen kind of chuckled and muttered something like, "Yeah, sure."

After the first hole was finished and we had by then dusted off 6 months rust, we (read I) was ready for some real golf. My tee shot headed right where I aimed - at the large tree on the left side of the fairway. The tree was far enough out that by the time my ball would reach it the natural fade I hit would move my ball right of the tree and would roll down the hill into perfect position for my approach shot to the green. And then it happend. For some unexplained cosmic reasoning, the ball went straight and stayed going straight. No amount of coaxing or appealing to the ball seemed to have any effect. The ball bounced twice on its approach to the tree before climbing up the trunk of the tree 3 feet before falling straight down coming to rest (and I'm not making this up) touching the trunk of the tree. As we are walking off the second green, ball in hand, yours truely was bitterly protesting to himself (and any others who would listen) the fate of my tee shot and all I could do to relieve the angst of the moment was to give a primal scream of protest before driving off to the third teebox.

Pulling up to the third teebox I looked over at Glen laughing to himself at my pitiful theatrics. Our eyes met and without a word needed spoken, he communicated, "It sure didn't take long." Then we both laughed and hit our next shots - causing us to laugh again and again.

Many blessings and have a wonderful, laugh filled day.

Question: Where do you go to see a grown man cry? Answer: On a golf course where he 3 putts 8 out of the 18 holes!

No comments:

Post a Comment