Friday, October 2, 2009

October Treat

Yesterday I went to the Texas State Fair for the first time in 9 years. It was fun with not much changing since I last visited. But I will share three experiences.
First, I rode the Ferris wheel on the midway for the first time. I was surprised at how little motion there was. I grew up riding on Ferris wheels that were open bench/cart seating that would swing at the least bit of starting and stopping. The 'Texas Star' has a heavy cage that would take King Kong swinging it to produce any significant motion. Still, the view from 200 feet off the ground is spectacular.
The second experience was found at the auto show, specifically the Ford area. Ford had a humanoid robot that was amazingly advanced. It really did converse with the audience on a wide range of topics. It was totally absorbing to watch a robot pick at random someone from the audience and talk with them. This was a cool exhibit.
The third experience was humbling. Coming upon a trio (guitar, saxophone, trumpet) playing in a public area there were two men listening and dancing to the music with utter disregard to the people passing by. I have passed by similar scenes on other occasions with young men doing their break dancing or whatever. They were great at their dancing and knew it and wanting those passing by to see their 'greatness'. But this scene was different. The two men were mentally handicapped. They also were rhythmically challenged. (Note: The two aforementioned conditions are not related for I, too, am rhythmically challenged. No other comment is needed. :) ) As those passing by would look at the two dancers, there was the inevitable laugh at the two men. Yet the men were lost in their enjoyment of the music and were totally oblivious to those who thought they were the 'funny little men'. As I was watching this scene finishing an ice cream cone so I could go board the aerial tram, the Lord impressed upon me there was really only two free men within my eyesight! These two men were copying David as he 'danced before the Lord. David was caught up in his enjoyment of the Lord and danced with all his might, not caring what others (including his wife) thought of him, his style, or whatever. David danced because he loved the Lord. The world could laugh, but David would nevertheless dance!
--- Oh, to be free to dance as David and these two men danced.

Chicago - 0, Rio de Janeiro - The World
We now know that Chicago was the first to be eliminated from the 2016 Olympic consideration. I think the biggest mistake Chicago made in their last effort sales pitch before the Olympic Committee was in the makeup of the delegation traveling to Copenhagen. It was fine for President "O" and his wife to travel to Denmark, Oprah probably did just fine as well. But for the life of me I can't figure out why the rest of the delegation was comprised of former Olympians. I'm sure the vote would have been much better for Chicago if the bulk of the delegation was comprised of ACORN members instead of former Olympians. After all, what do Olympians know about rigging votes?

Blessings

1 comment:

  1. I wish I were going to the State Fair. I love it. It is my dream to enter a quilt in the Fair someday.

    ReplyDelete