Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Great and Wonderful Fictitious Garage Sale

Yesterday I posted on Facebook that I was in Ohio helping my brother-in-laws conduct a fictitious garage sale. I had comments to this posting asking what in the world is a fictitious garage sale. Let me explain.

I traveled 900 miles to the designated location to help move, sort, and dispose of 50 years worth of "stuff". Upon arriving there had been no advance plans made. It seems that we were going to have a pow-wow Thursday night on what the procedure was going to be for the weekend. The pow-wow lasted 15 minutes with the conclusion that "no conclusion was best, that way everyone would be happy (or frustrated)." So yesterday, in my mind, we had a garage sale clearing away those 50 years of accumulated "stuff." Meanwhile, in the real world of the physical I was having a blast hanging with family (in-laws) visiting, laughing, and enjoying the life God has so graciously given us.

The day did entail 1 hour of cleaning out the old house for the world's smallest garage sale today. Some of the salvaged treasures which I will be bringing home with me is a frog door stop (cool), some old family photos, and a neat Christmas item the kids in the church will like when they come by the house. Update: A late Friday night pow-wow determined that we will call the Salvation Army to come pick up the workable big things like TV, microwave, vacuum, etc. and the rest will burn in a huge bonfire. Now the interesting thing about this garage sale/bonfire is that it was supposed to raise money for my mission trip. The bonfire idea came from me when I offered $100.00 for everything in the garage sale. When they accepted the offer I volunteered my new found "booty" to be assigned to the bonfire. With the proceeds from our fictitious garage sale my brother-in-law will be donating to my mission trip, everyone now seems happy about the arrangement. When I get home everyone is invited to stop by and see my $100.00 frog door stop!

They have just called for me to come down for breakfast and so I will end this post. Here's hoping that my next blog is not about a fictitious bonfire!

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment