Monday, May 25, 2009

Rainbows Do Exist

Saturday evening. 6:05 PM. Wall of rain approaching from the south. Sun shining in the west. It was beautiful outside. I so enjoy standing outside (under a covered shelter of course) and watching a storm approach and unleash the torrents of water from the clouds. Having grown up on the plains of Kansas it is an awesome sight to take in - the approach of the storm - the fury of the storm - and then the RAINBOW! Living here in Texas has certain perks, but Rainbow spotting is not one of them. They tend to be infrequent and small when they do make their appearance. (I suppose this is one reason leprechauns are an endangered species in Texas.) Saturday I was reminded of the glorious goodness of God as I went outside to watch the approach and experience the fury. And then there it was - a RAINBOW arching over CTC! Oh the beauty and joy of simple pleasures.

Tomorrow the first of the CTC'ers head out for missions. Sherry Williams heads off to Camp Dry Gulch for the summer as she serves as a counselor at the camp. She is the first of 13 we will send out to various corners of the world during the next six weeks. Places such as Oklahoma, Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Italy, and Mexico will have CTC'ers walking on their soil.

I am expecially proud of the Mexico team. Many times we let inconvenience stop us from "going forth". In this case, there was the concern of the violence in Mexico that caused some to hesitate, then the "Swine Flu" outbreak caused some hesitation. Through it all, Joe Yosten, leading the team kept his eye on the goal, never waivered and now is two weeks from launching.

Thunder clouds are building up around here. It is Memorial Day so this is expected. No problems here at the Hall household though as I had 20+ over for a grill out last evening. This afternoon I go over to someone else's place and let them worry about a rain out!

Last night as the last guests left the house I noticed the sign by the front door Joyce had made many years ago to identify our unigue status in the world. The sign reads, "Welcome to the Hall's Nuthouse". The thought crossed my mind that now that all the females have left the house, maybe the sign should go. Then horror of horrors - the thought occurred to me that perhaps it was I who made the sign necessary! So, the sign stays until I notice some consistent, long-term signs of normalcy around here instead of short spurts that vaporize all too quickly!

Have a great Memorial Day. God bless our troops! Blessings

2 comments:

  1. Pastor Ray, on Sunday evening I also saw a completely full, bright, double raibow! I don't think I'd ever seen an entire rainbow before, plus being able to see each end touch the ground. I guess that's cause I live in Texas...
    By the way, rest assured that your house is still a nut house. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, you can't get rid of the Nuthouse sign. I think that would be sacrilege at this point! (And yeah, you're still keeping the house nutty, don't worry!)

    You know, we don't (or very rarely) get rainbows up here by the Sound...something about the way the moisture hangs in the air keeps it from happening. However, just last night we got a new set of lights illuminating the Space Needle, and it's now a very gorgeous glowing gold for the duration of the summer. So when you arrive there'll be golden Space Needles (er, Space Needle) overhead and hamburgers with real ham awaiting you!!

    ReplyDelete